Next evolution.....

First thanks for the posts. Since my last I have had contact with the western bullet guy about his .314 -.316 offerings. More on that later.

I cast up some .310 bullet out of pure lead and smooshed them to .316 in an attempt to firelap the barrel. I was surprised how well I could control the diameter by the turn of the vise handle. Got them to .3155-.316 pretty easily. These bullets would seat into fired cases and just barely chamber in the throat of the rifle, so I assume I have found the upper limit of the bullet. Fire lapped 25 of the above using 2 grains of IMR 7625. Meticuously cleaned. The barrel looks better......I think.

Meanwhile a friend gave me a few Hornady .312 bullets to try. The working theory has been since the .308 bullets keyholed, the 7.62x39 .311 bullets did not keyhole and sorta kinda grouped, I would try the next size I could readily find. The goal being to see if the barrel had any accuracy potential, if fed the correct sized bullet. Today shot 5 into about 2" at 25 yards today. It was from a sitting position with elbow on knees and no other rest. The group was 8 " low, but that is a separate issue. The load was mild, 28 grains of H4895 and a 150 grain SP Hornady jacketed bullet. (Hey they were free) In the end, the shot into a group, not a pattern, so I believe the barrel might just serve.

I think the next step should be to order some cast .314-.316 bullets in a heavy-for-caliber-weight and give them a try. Like gnoahhhh suggests, it make take some tinkering to find the right combination, but we hope the long bearing surface will work well in the worn barrel.

BTW, gents, there surely must be a way top load pix on this site, but I have not yest found the tool. somebody advise me?

Next time.

Last edited by wheelerdan; 12/22/17. Reason: spell error