PLEASE do not take this as an arguement for the bob. First of all.

My son never liked shooting the 243. Always like the bob. That’s in otherwise identical platforms. I blame The high operating pressure, as well as the overall case design- the same as it eats barrels it makes the 243 more obnoxious for a young or inexperienced shooter. Now please try not to bog down there- I’m guessing as to why the 243 was that way for him, but I’m telling you what he told me about why he didn’t like it. Anyway the 20” 243 always had enough muzzle blast/flash etc to make it more dramatic than the bob. He just got a creed. Since it is LIGHT and short at 20” tube I’m going to load 120-123 grainers middle of the road instead of 140 and up initially. I don’t know if the slight difference in recoil between 120 and 140 will bother him but in a 6.5 lb 7mm08 I can tell a difference between 120s and 140s- so there is a difference. To this point it’s always been the blast and flash that bother him not recoil.

All that was just Long way to say 6.5mm is overall better for a kid than 6mm, noise/blast/flash/pressure probably matter more than recoil and a 6lb rifle kicks 33% harder than a 9pounder. So that’s a some things to consider. Obviously you know your kid

I’m thinking 120s or 123s- I’m ordering a handful to try- at 2800fps gets you out to 600 -650 with only about 5 mils depending on the bullet- with plenty of starch left. Probably not transonic til 800ish, maybe like 750 or so it’s pretty light. I’m hoping it’ll work well from about 50-250 more so however

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/25/17.