I have underwear older than most folks on this thread and have been backpack hunting in Alaska every year since the mid-'70's. That said, I've always been interested in trying things out for myself and forming opinions based on first-hand experience.

The first real pack I owned was a Kelty external frame pack and it carried its share of bear, moose, sheep, goat, caribou, and sitka blacktail. Since then I've been using internal frame packs beginning with Gregory, then a Dana Design TerraPlane Guide model (1000d - heavy but built like a brick sh*t house). Perhaps a couple decades ago I started using Kifaru packs (EMR, MMR, and various smaller packs, and then a Longhunter Guide). I've also recently owned and used a Mystery Ranch 6500 and a MR Marshall and a MR Metcalf. Also still own a Kuiu Icon with both small and large bags.

A couple/three observations: The best carrying packs in my opinion and based on my experience are MR and Kifaru. The new MR made-overseas packs are cheesy compared with the US-made packs, but lighter. Don't like the skinny little buckles and belts on the new MR packs (other readers may love them but I don't). The one pack that has survived all of that (anyone want to buy a Kuiu Icon?) is my 10-year-old Kifaru Longhunter Guide (no longer made I think). It has lots of scars and blood stains but it continues to be my choice based on a reasonable amount of first-hand experience.