I have a late 80's Remington 700 in 22/250. I have had it since new and it has accounted for sending many Groundhogs and crow as well as paper targets to the other side. It has always been an accurate rifle and well kept. Sadly recent years it has become a safe queen after the passing of my favorite shooting/hunting partner and Dad. I now want to bring it out of retirement and rebarrel it in a SST barrel and possibly in a 22/250AI I have numerous hunting calibers 6mm Rem, 7/08, .35Whelen, .350Rem Mag, 30/06 etc. I rarely fall prey to the latest fad that comes out but at the mention of my choice gets looks that make me think I am living in the past. If better brass was available the 6mmRem would be a contender but again I get those facial expressions that make me think I may need to look at a newer round. The new 6.5's seem great but I choose to stay in the 6mm or under caliber-wise. I want a rifle capable of ruining a groundhog out to say 500yards. I love the explosiveness of the 22/250 and am thinking a 12 twist AI version might be the ticket. I would like an honest opinion from a gunsmith that loads his own and shoots as well to share some wisdom on this one.

Remember: Have your Democrats spayed or neutered.