Originally Posted by koshkin
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Do ya'll consider the 3-9 SS a superior hunting scope compared to the 3-15 SS? I would go for the Bushnell LRHS as it has all the features I think I want but I don't think I want the extra weight on my Kimber Montana. I would already be going heavier than I would like if I go to the 3-9 SS. I'm just getting tired of wondering if the scope is the weak link.

I have extensive experience with both 3-9x42 and 3-15x42. The 3-9x42 is a better hunting scope. FOV is wider and low light performance is a little better. Side focus and extra magnification of the 3-15x42 help a little at longer distances, but I do not think it makes any practical difference outside of paper punching. I've taken the 3-9x42 out to 1000 yards without any issues and shoot at plates out to 600 routinely.

While I like both designs, 3-15x42 is a better scope for airguns, rimfires and range shooting while the 3-9x42 is a better scope for going into the field.

In my opinion. YMMV.

ILya

Thanks Mr. Koshkin. Have you spent any time with the Bushnell LRHS 3-12X44? If so would you prefer it or the SWFA 3-9X42 as a hunting scope out to about 500 yards?