I use a 7x57 for many of the mentioned reason. I witnessed a few unbelievable feats of markship by my father , using his 7x57. I read Finn Aagard a lot and he impressed me with his love of the 7x57. He also used many other rifles as did my father, but always took time to talk about a 7x57. My father was not a writer and not famous. But he hunted a lot and was a story teller around a lot of camps. First in Pa. deer camps , then as a cook in the BigHorn mtns. elk camp. I continue to carry his rifle each fall and relay my experiences to him. as dementia and bad health limit his ability but not his Spirit.
I came along at a time when J.O.C. and Elmer were well past their prime and writing careers . It is interesting that in that 1957 article The tone seems to be that 60 years ago J,.O.C. seemed to use and appreciate the 7x57 for the same reason that MD and others ( myself) included use it. It works , is classy and is has a long history of "Honorable" Even though as stated 60 years ago ' Factory ammo was limited and reloading for best results were the norm. At 125 years old I wish to be the classy choice that is still effective!!!