Hi Guy,
The Eastern Cape has a huge variety of terrain. It can go from mountains to plains within a couple of hundred yards. Some areas have very thick cover, but this is where the height from the mountains help. If we did not have the height advantage, some areas would be impossible to hunt because of the vegetation.On some of the browsers like Kudu and Bushbuck 200-220yds are usually sufficient, as the mountain faces are about that range in the middle, from side to side. If you are in the middle, and see something at the top, it could be 300yds. We don't expect our hunters to shoot that far, and calling a shot like that really depends on how big the animal is, and whether the shot is worth the risk, as well as how comfortable the hunter is. It also depends on the species, and how hardy they are. Something tough like a Blue Wildebeest, we would rather get closer in order to make sure.
The scopes that we find have the best range would be something like the 4-12 x 50. The Leupold's have them in this range, and those are great.
The 30-06 is a very popular calibre over here and will get the job done. I am just not a fan of shooting a 200gr bullet from them. I don't believe they have enough powder to push a 200gr bullet as sufficient as you require for our areas.
Personally, I like the 165gr bullets out of the 30-06 for the Eastern Cape. We don't shoot out to the ranges where the momentum of a 180gr bullet will catch up and have an effect on the trajectory.

Take Care,
Marius

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]