There was a pretty good article in American Rifleman last year on the 30-338. I skimmed over it and forgot about it. This past summer I was asked to sell an estate for a lady whose husband was a competitive shooter as well as his dad. His dad used a 30-338 at Camp Perry back in the 70s and won several long-range Palma matches with it. He had 2 rifles chambered in the caliber. One was a custom-made Palma rifle on a 700 action the other was a hunting rifle on an FN 98 action that was built by Bill Wiseman in Texas. The Palma rife sold on Gunbroker for peanuts. I tried to sell the Wiseman on here as well as a few other sites. After it brought little to no attention. I decided to keep it for the fact I had several 100s of rounds of formed brass, a few hundred loaded rounds and everything I needed to load for the rifle for the next hundred years. The gun came with a set of NECG custom quick detach scope bases that retailed for nearly $500. After the fact, I wondered what I was thinking trying to sell it. The gun is so accurate it's scary. I've been shooting 196 gr bthp over 4350 and a 180 gr Speer BT over 4350. Both rounds at 100 yards are too close for me to want to move the zero. The only bad thing about shooting a rifle this accurate is when I missed a nice 10 pt at 125 yards this year, I had only one thing to blame the miss on.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.