When I started hunting in 66 we had no money for insulated boots, like others I started with a pair of socks then a large bread bag over the sock then two pairs of over sized wool socks then my kids arctic rubber 5 buckle slip over boots that were made to go over a pair of shoes but with all the socks I could wear them without shoes.

We did have flannel lined blue jeans and cheap long johns that were always a couple sizes too big, a shirt hoodie covered by a old wool coat. Gloves were not very warm but we did have the old johnie hand warmers. I would be warm but I could not move to fast smile

For heating the house we had a old coal hot water system but the winter of 62 my father died of heart failure and we were in a drought so with no water in the well we could not use the furnace. Everyone doubled up taking the winter blankets for two beds and putting them on one, I shared the bed with my little brother all that winter with the only heat the gas stove burners.

Yes kids have it better now! Even Walmart has cheap insulated hunting clothes for someone on a budget.

Ted