Interesting you bring up the emotional aspect of hunting and sentimental attachment. My Dad says the same thing. He recently bought a Husqvarna 30-06 in original condition. He mounted his 50+ year old Pecar scope on and took it deer hunting. He proclaims it as his new deer rifle.

The back story - he bought a Husqvarna 30-06 back in 1961 or 62 while he was stationed in Germany in the Army. He hunted it a few times in Europe and used it extensively in the US after he was discharged. One day in about 1972 or so, he shot some reloads of an aquaintance. Rifle didn't fair to well and blew apart into a bunch of pieces. I was about 8-9 at the time and was standing 10 feet or so from him when things went south. Neither of us received any major injuries but was a hard learned lesson. He'd always talked of finding another Husky of the same vintage and mounting his old Pecar on it. He did last summer and shot a dandy buck this past November with it. He's 76 today and we talk alot about our memories. We both know we have more years behind than in front. I've only asked for 2 things when he goes - his Husky and an old M700 in 30-06 he used in the interim years between the Husky and more recent vintage rifles.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.