I have a NULA 7x61 and had a S&L Model 60. The Model 60 was freebored and you could seat the bullets way out. I was surprised the 1 in 12" twist would shoot a 160 Partition with decent accuracy. The freebore allows using about 2-4 grains more powder for slightly less velocity than I get from the NULA, both guns with 26" barrels.

I'd stay away from much of the old data; seems a bit too hot and I doubt much if any of it was pressure tested. Based solely on my limited experience, if you get the old published figures of 3,100 fps with a 160 grain bullet, that would be a very warm, possibly dangerous load. I've found about 2,900 fps is tops with a 160 grain. Still a great cartridge that will do about anything the 7mm Remington Magnum will and use a little less powder than the Remington cartridge with most loads. And, it doesn't have that dull look...

There was an update on the 7x61 data a few years back on handload. com (or something similar); anyway the online loading data deal that Wolfe Publishing Co. does.