I never was a 'big time' cattleman, but I did grow up on a farm and when I sold out, I had about 45 head all total. Reading these type threads and seeing the pics reminds me of what I did different. I'm not saying my way was any better, just different, and I realize being in the south made a lot of difference.

For instance, I preferred fall calves. Milder winters, bigger calves to sell in the fall, and plenty of hay, made it work better for me. I would put the bull in with the cows around Dec 1st and remove him about March 1st. Any cows/heifers that didn't calve by Dec. 1, meant a little extra Christmas money (only happened a few times). FWIW, I fed plenty of hay and always kept a 3 to 1 cotton seed meal and salt out for free choice feeding.

There was a thread about banding calves the other day. I banded them (my wife did too, when I was working away from home) when they were a day or 2 old, for years. But I got to noticing that those calves had more of a feminine look and didn't bring as good a price. Since I was going to work the cows in the late spring anyway, I started cutting them, at that time, and I liked it better. Call me old fashion, but I always cut calves by-the-moon (plant things by-the-moon, too).

Most of the cattlemen, where I lived, preferred spring calves, and I understand why.

Not implying my way was any better, it's just what worked for me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21