The 358 is quite a cartridge for whitetail deer; that I know for a fact. I haven't carried either one of mine in a few years but past experiences have proved its worth to me. I have a left-hand Remington 788 that was rebored to 358Winchester without marking the change on the barrel.(story for another day) The other is a Browning BLR-81that I really like to hunt with. I've had very satisfying results sigh the 200gr Hornady RN and the 225gr Nosler Partition. Whi!e the Partition isn't necessary for the whitetails I hunt, it does an excellent job at it. If I absolutely had to kill a deer no matter the shot angle I know it will do the job. I've taken 15-20 deer with the 358 and the most common result at the pull of the trigger is for the deer to collapse. Examining the wound while dressing the animal clearly shows that the Partition begins to expand immediately and that it always exits. The Hornady RN has always given an exit but damage is not quite as severe as the Nosler. In the future I hope to try the 225gr Sierra just to see how it performs. My load with the Hornady is really mild but gives outstanding accuracy in both rifles.

I really don't understand why the 358 hasn't got the attention it deserves. I think it is a great round for anyone that hunts in both the thick stuff or broken areas of cover where a shot could be right under your nose or across a clear cut. I would love to have something like the old Remington 600 or 660, or the original Remington Model 7 or a Ruger M-77 compact or even a Number One RSI with its beautiful Mannlicher stock. But I shoot left handed and the only way I can get a compact rifle in 358 is to build one, rebore one, re-barrel one or continue to use the BLR-81. Thankfully I like my BLR, it is an older model with an all steel receiver. I have had a 2.5-8x Leupold on it from the start and it is a perfect match for the rifle and me.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)