G'day John and everyone,

It is my understanding that the old Speer Grandslam bullet had two lead cores of differing hardness but this has since been changed to the one lead core. Have I got this right? The old Speer manuals used to list separate data for Grandslam bullets as they mentioned pressures were different than other bullets of the same weight. Speer now list all bullets of the same weight, including Grandslams, together. I assume, correctly or incorrectly, that this means the Grandslam now exhibits similar pressure to other Speer bullets.

Is the 'new' Grandslam still a tough premium bullet or is it now similar to a Speer Hotcor cup and core. I recently purchased second-hand five boxes of 6.5mm 140gn Grandslams and was wondering if they are the old style or the new? Is there any way to tell the difference between the old style and the new? They are in the 50 count clear orange plastic boxes with the bullets vertical in their own little space the same as some 7mm Grandslams I bought 18 years ago. Or did the new style GSs come in the same boxes? I will load them in a 22" 6.5x55 so I would assume that even if they are the 'new' single core bullet they will still be adequate for fallow deer size game.

Sorry for rambling but the Grandslam is a bullet that never seems to get mentioned or written about anymore.