Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 338Rules

By way of comparison, Does the long neck of the .25'06, or .270Win lead to longer throat life ?
Does the shallow tapered shoulder of these cases detract ? ( 17.5 degrees vs 30 or 40 degrees )

IOW : What case design features lead to longer throat life in high capacity -- smaller bore cartridges

338 - I feel certain by your post that you are aware that the 243 with its sloping shoulder angle AND short neck contributes to throat erosion.
*****I am NO expert by any stretch of the imagination. I've read about this over a long period of years.
You are correct too about rapid firing of long strings >> makes perfect sense.

Yes, very aware of the throat issues, in .243 and 7Mag : similar geometry with 20 and 25 degree shoulders and short neck length.
I've never had either long enough to worry about longevity. They were accurate enough to attract attention from range buddies ...

The 6.5-284 puzzles me because it has a fairly steep 35 degree shoulder, But maybe the neck is not quite long enough, combined with
the typical high operating pressures, and long strings of fire in competition. Probably not a real problem in a hunting rifle.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.