My son and I went on guy shopping trip the other day. Mom was working, so we played. We did a bunch of guy window shopping, guns stuff, tractor stuff, hardware store, pawn shops, went to a BBQ joint for lunch etc.

A recent post in Hunting Rifles got me thinking about levers again.

I have owned some really nice lever actions, but was never infected with leveritis. They all went down the road, sold to more appreciative people.
A 1930's Winchester 71 that had a factory bolt peep that I killed a couple does with.
A stunner of a 444 Marlin that only saw the range.
A Browning BLR in 358 Winchester that shot a doe and a couple of hogs.

My older son loves his Winchester 22 magnum and would like to get a gig game lever action.
We have a couple of friends that have hunted with a 1950's Marlin 336 in 35 Rem and a 94 in 30-30.

So during our travels, we looked at lever action rifles. I think we looked at ever lever action available: Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Uberti, Rossi, Ruger, Browning.

The rifles that fit the best were the pistol grip Marlins, 336's and 1895, even though I would really like an 1894 in 44 mag. The straight stocks do not fit me, and I do not like the feel.

So after much research and handling, a Marlin 1895 SBL in 45/70 came home. After checking everything out, cycling the action, cleaning, and remounting the rail it is time to go to the range. Bought a box of Hornady 325gr FTX, only factory ammo all they had.

To be continued........

Arcus Venator