Originally Posted by MILES58
...A quarter per bullet difference in price is nothing to me even when I put a couple hundred through a rifle solving it for that particular bullet. Most rifles can be solved inside of 50 rounds.with $1000 in a rifle and scope $30 in bullets doesn't mean anything.

To be fair, he asked about lead in today's bullets. You are giving your opinion about why you use premium bullets. You're not answering his question.

Lead is still being used because it is cheaper, and was always used. If you go back to the days of lead balls/muzzleloaders, lead was a malleable material that would conform to the barrel with minimal effort. You stuffed lead into the barrel and it squeezed down to size.

Along came smokeless powder and bullets could be pushed considerably faster. They were already using lead, an easy to find, cheap, and soft material, but they found it couldn't handle the pressure without lead lining the barrel, so they wrapped the lead in copper alloy. Until a few years ago, when monolithic bullets started being made and used, they just kept making cup and core bullets as they always had done, since smokeless powder became the propellant of choice.

Of course, there were a few improvements over traditional cup and core, but lead still remains an easy, cheap and malleable substance to work with in the manufacturing business. They tried changing lead for other metals or methods, like sintered bullets, but for varmints, target and medium game, lead continues to be the go to material for bullet manufacturers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]