Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by 65BR
Re: both kill well, indeed, but if you are shooting long distance, say over 300 yds, the 95 BT is going to hold it's speed longer and expand better.

Guy I know dumped a deer at 540 yds with a 243, and 95 BT..........I would not try with a light mono, may pencil thru.

IME, the 95 is VERY hard to beat, will drill both shoulders of a WT Deer at 100 yds broadside......and still expand way out there.

Oh, I have shot 1/2" groups..........at 200 yds using them. Other bullets can do very well in 6mm, killed deer with 70 TNT in 6BR and 243, on up thru 100 Partition.

The 95 leaves me nothing wanting, near or far.

Are you sure ? Higher retained energy, yes, but velocity & therefore trajectory bleed faster.

I'm a 95gr SST guy.

wink

I believe the comparison was between the 95 BT and the Barnes 80gr TTSX. In that case, the TTSX should bleed off velocity faster, although not by much.

If you start the Barnes off at 3100fps, its .331 BC will see the velocity drop to 1789fps at 500 yards with a drop of 43 inches (assuming a 200 yard zero). If you start the Nosler at 3000fps, its .379 BC will give a velocity of 1872 fps at 500 yards and a drop of 42.5 inches with a 200 yard zero.

Data taken from trajectory tables at the back of Nosler and Barnes reloading manuals.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke