When first we moved to southwest AZ from the culture of the East Coast, there were very few opportunities for me to play in dance bands as I had been doing through HS and college. And, the local music was quite "different" - as I soon learned when a fine fellow named Tommy Munoz - a sales person for mens' clothing at the only nice department store in Yuma - sold me a shirt, found out I was a musician, and hired me on the spot to play in his band on weekends. In a few weekends I learned more Jaliscos, Boleros, Mexican polkas, Clases de Cha Cha, and two-steps than I ever knew existed. It was fun.

I lived way out in a desert valley and only saw the guys in the band on Friday and Saturday nights. It was a mixed bunch - Tommy played trumpet very, very well (used circular breathing and could hold a note forever on some of those Mexican tunes), two of Tommy's relatives had to be regulars (on sax and drums - they did not read music), the bass player (excellent) was a transplant from Benton Harbor, MI (also played some trombone) and the guitar player (George) was a short white guy from Texas who had one bad leg he dragged along - and he liked to drink - a bunch.

The guitar player's most favorite tune was "San Antonio Rose", which he insisted on singing as well. That tune modulates to a related key on the bridge - and then back at the top - and the drunker that guy got the worse he sang - and played. We had to be sure to play it in the first set or George would screw it up royally after he got lit. Sometimes the crowd would request it again late in the evening - it was a VERY popular swing song at the time - and when we did it again late usually we would just turn of George's mic and pull his amp plug. It is a great tune still, and AATW does it first class.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron