Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've been playing with a borrowed 2.5-10X32 Nightforce NXS on my Kimber Montana lately. I shot some outstanding groups yesterday after finally settling on a load and learning a correct way to hold the rifle. I had several 5 shot groups at 100 in the .5's to .8's with the load it liked.

I was saving to get the 2.5-10X42 NXS but just bought a used Bushnell LHRS 3-12. Man,it seems like a heavy son of a gun,but I haven't found the 32mm NF bad at all.

I don't know if I'm going overboard or what with such a heavy scope on such a light rifle but I suppose the whole rig should still be fairly light and I'm very tired of inconsistent results,wondering if it's the scope and mounts. Yea,I added a rail and Seekins rings too.

Just wondering how many of you guys have given up on light weight scopes and sort of wondering if anyone is using heavier scopes on Montana's.

Seems like about 20oz is about as light as you can go and count on reliability. That weight covers the Nightforce NXS compact and the SWFA SS fixed powers and 3-9. I have a SS on the wife’s Montana and it seems fine to me. I have the 4.5-18 LRTSi on my heavier rig and of course it is fine there. Nothing lightweight about that rig anyway. I have run the 3-12 LRHS on a medium weight rig (< 9 lbs) and it was right at home there as well.

I don’t go for lightweight rigs much anymore as I have never been able to get the level of precision that I want from them but if I were to do another, I’d put a NXS compact on it, and if I couldn’t stomach the cost, an SWFA.

John

If they made their compacts in FFP, and offered a reticle I really liked, I’d totally agree with you, but as it stands I’ll take the SS 3-9X over any of the NXS compacts I’ve played with.

I can live with first or second focal plane, the reticle is my dislike with the NXS. If the IHR had solid bars rather than hollow it would meet my needs better in thick cover and take nothing away from the precision at longer ranges.

The NX8 1-8x24 might be interesting for a lightweight at 17oz, but I'm guessing the view is pretty "tight" at upper powers with the small obj. The illumination has been changed to make it daylight visible....if I knew it would go as low as the NXS illumination at last light (which is excellent) I'd probably grab one but don't want to spend the $ and end up with a washed out image in low light.

I need to pick up a SS 3-9 as several have mentioned they have a bolder reticle than the 6x. All I've used are 6x and 10x.