The success of my new 6.5CTR/McMillan/Weaver Tact got me thinking on just what that rifle can do and cover. After thinking back over my last 5-6 years hunting the backcountry here in Idaho, it got me thinking - what couldn't this do for my hunting?

I feel pretty strong that I could hunt everything we have to offer here in Idaho and be plenty happy with a 6.5 shooting a 140-143 grain bullet in the 2700-2800 FPS. Within "reasonable midrange" say out to 500 maybe 600, realistically this rifle/cartridge could handle it all. Obviously, shooting a big trophy bull elk or moose at those distances isn't ideal - but it could serve in a pinch and be more than enough at the normal 200-400 yards I usually end up harvesting game at.

Mule Deer, Whitetail, Black Bear, Goat, Sheep, Antelope, Lion - there is nothing there that wouldn't succomb - even on shots way out there. I have already killed my once in a lifetime Idaho Moose, so thats out of the picture and two of my biggest bulls were killed with a 270 shooting 130 partitions. Heck, if you had to you could even load a 140 Nosler or Swift A Frame and chase big critters.

So I pose the question - even though I won't be doing it - Would you have any issue chasing those animals with just one super accurate, well scoped, 6.5 creed flinging 140-143 bullets in the 2750-2800 FPS Range?