Originally Posted by T_O_M
Best results I've had bedding tangers is with charcoal. I had a 77 RL in .257 Roberts that I fought for 2 years trying to get decent accuracy from. That was before I joined a range so I'd head up in the woods, find a clear cut, pace off about 100 yards, set up a target on a stump, and shoot off the tool box in the truck bed. One day I got pissed off from lack of success and just started crankin' through ammo about as fast as I could shoot, somewhere up around 100 rounds. I could smell hot wood charring but I didn't care, I was pissed off and frustrated. I put the gun back in the gun rack in my truck window where it promptly melted through the rubber padding down to steel. I figured I'd ruined it but I just didn't give a [bleep] at that point.

Next time out, I shot two 9/16ths inch 5 shot groups with 75 grain Sierras and 44 grains of 4064 and 2 5/8ths inch groups with 43 grains of H414 and 120 grain partitions.

Huh.

Beats me. What I know is, whether it should have or not, it worked.

Tom

Definitely not a barrel break-in procedure to recommend to others . . . . . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.