Hi Guys. I went on an unsuccessful DIY elk hunt in Colorado in 2016 (over the counter archery). I would like to start going regularly (every other year or so) to hunt elk with a rifle. I own several rifles that could feasibly be used for elk. I have a very accurate 25-06, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a .308 Win and a 30-06. All of these are bolt-action rifles. I was thinking of using my Remington 700 30-06 with 190 grain Accubond LR bullets. I rarely use this rifle anymore so I thought I could make it or the 308 Win my elk rifle.

I know both are capable of killing an elk but would something bigger be a big improvement? If I am going to go regularly, I wouldn't mind buying a new rifle if it is the right tool for the job. The more that I have researched magnum cartridges, the more I have come to the conclusion that they don't offer much better trajectory until you get past 400 or 500 yards. I am not a skilled long-range shooter so I wouldn't be setting up for long shots. (In all honesty, I have never shot at game beyond about 60 yards because the areas I hunt at home are mostly dense forest.) I have shot targets at 200 yards with no issue (from a bench) and I intend to start practicing at 300 but would prefer not to shoot farther than that unless necessary. What do you think? Am I putting myself at a disadvantage with a 30-06 or 308? Thanks