Originally Posted by 4th_point
Only thing I don't like about the PH1 is the flutes. I'm not convinced that a fluted barrel is as stable as an unfluted barrel, with regard to heating, but I understand that you're concerned with weight. The HP1 is unfluted, but comes with a different stock.

I also think you're going down the wrong road with a lightweight 6.5 PRC. If you're just getting started in medium to longrange, having lower recoil and/or more mass would be a good thing. Unless you plan to be braked and rely on a spotter calling for you. Just my 2 cents.

As mentioned earlier, the PVA seems like a killer deal.

I'm considering a 700 Remage. NSS has Criterion barrels, and there are people who will thread and chamber any blank that you supply.

Jason

Jason,I've actually been thinking along those lines lately. Yes, the John Hancock rifle seems like more rifle than I could get for the money anywhere else. I guess it's hard to curb a lifetime of lighter weight rifle use and start thinking about shooting a 13 lb rifle. I can see it as a fun range toy and that may be enough. I might also use it on some stands over big fields and cut overs but that's just not how I do most of my hunting. Then again I do have several rifles already to fit any of those needs.