Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by rickt300
I believe they toughened up the 150 gr. 308 diameter bullet. Kills and exits most of the time.

Sure was a grenade on a deer I shot a few years ago. Same with the 180 SST .308 on a mule deer and bull elk. The SST's shoot awesome but are too explosive for me (30-06 velocities). I have gone back to Interlocks and have been happy with their performance and accuracy.

I would suppose the SST is designed for long range shooting as are most boat tailed bullets. This would seem to indicate the bullet will expand at lower velocities and much faster at high impact speeds. So if I am hunting whitetails at normal ranges I load this style bullet down to 2700 fps or so and get good performance by avoiding hitting shoulders. I would not use the SST on elk as for that I prefer partitions but for open country mule deer I can't see a real issue with the lot of 150 gr. SST's I have. I am a huge fan of regular Interlocks, especially the 180 gr. 30 caliber version, but a more streamlined bullet will buck the wind better and holds energy farther out.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/20/18.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]