Originally Posted by Fireball2
Savage guys are a funny lot, matching numbers and all that. What if Savage hadn't numbered buttplates, would replacements be ok then?

If you have a gun with a broken plate (like the one I just had that got broken in transport for example), wouldn't you rather buy a replacement than stare at a broken plate the rest of your life? Matching numbers or not I'm glad they're available although I've never needed a thick one. Everything on the planet gets repaired at some point.

From here on out purists can replace their cars when the starter goes out rather than repair it too! grin

It's not a question of repairing thick rubber buttplates that are broke, there are so very few of them that I've never heard of anybody needing to replace one. If they do have one that's broken, fine, go for it.

It's a question of folks can now put it on guns that had a standard shotgun buttplates. As I said originally, paying a premium for thick hard rubber buttplates just went down a lot.

It'd be like making a run of reproduction 99RS sling studs and swivels from the 1930's. Would drop the price of 99RS's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com