I was a young kid in the mid to late 1940s and some of my classmates and neighborhood kids were brought down by polio. Three were in the iron lung for quite a while and several suffered mild to severe damage to their lower extremities. It could be scary, but somehow we saw it as "one more thing" encountered in life. Once the vaccine was developed (I had the injection), folks relaxed a bit - and for good reason.

In my late teens I met a fellow as part of a musical group - he was a knockout guitar player - and childhood polio had badly withered his legs to the point where watching him walk was painful. Although we offered to help, he always insisted on carrying his own equipment - including that heavy Fender quad amp - and stuffed it all into the trunk of his Olds. He was brilliant with electronics - no schooling beyond 12th grade, had a great career with PG&E, and it was common for E.E.s to come find him for help with their problems. He also founded a very successful audio enhancement company (show stage sound, etc) for his son to inherit. We stayed in touch - and, sadly, when he reached his mid 60s, effects of the childhood polio returned with a vengeance. Knocked him down and killed him within 3 years.

As a long time participant in Rotary International, we carried out quite a heavy and expensive campaign to eradicate polio in the world - and almost won. Eventually I was no longer qualified to be in Rotary and do not now know the status of that battle.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron