limabean,

I have both an ULA 7mm-08 and several CLR's that have gone back to Melvin for his "spa treatment!" I have been more than satisfied with the CLR's, my 7mm Mag being my favorite rifle for it's accuracy, capabilities, and balance. I don't think there is much out there that is any better value for ~$1300-1500 out there, especially having the "laying on of Melvin's hands!" I have another 7mm that I have considered having him re-barrel to 6.5 Rem. Mag ( I have squirreled away a lot of brass, ammo, etc.) but now wonder whether the 6.5 PRC might not be the smarter way to go. In the meantime, my 7mm Rem. Mag never disappoints!

I guess variables include fit, $, and desired caliber.

If $ is no object, get a NULA in whatever you desire. Melvin has legions of satisfied customers that forked over the $ and are very satisfied, even given the expense. If $ is an object, then consider the CLR or the Forbes. The CLR limits you to a 270, '06, 7mm RM, or 300 WinM unless you want to re-barrel. I like the metal finish better than what is on the Forbes and I don't care for the Forbes rendition of "fluting" but those are my tastes FWIW. With the Forbes, you get Melvin's stock already and the chance at a short action if that is what you desire (no magnums though!)

The Barrett sounds nice and people sound like they are happy with them. SS which is a big deal for a lot of people. I am not particularly interested in the shorter barrels, but again that is me. Still in the $1500-1700 range. No magnums.

I have always been intrigued by the Kimbers but have never had one. I do like the feel of their stocks. A used 8400 (325 WSM maybe?) re-barrelled to 6.5 PRC for that $1500-1700 range would be pretty special as well!!!

Finally, if you have not already, put the NULA/Forbes/CLR to your shoulder. They have a slightly different feel to them than the Kimber for sure. I can't speak for the Barrett but would guess that it is similar to the NULA family as well.

SU35 here on the fire recently had a "Melvinized" 7mm Mag CLR for sale for -$1500 if that interests you more than the '06AI.