Tell them who you are, they think you are all crazy. They should understand the positives from positive people.

TED338 Sarasota Pending Approval
I am not a criminal, nor mentally defective, nor have I ever caused physical harm to another person, been argumentative or even grumpy. I am a responsible citizen who has voted in every election since I turned 21, have been involved in and organized serious volunteer community projects from stream side clean up to raising the funds to test every child on a small Caribbean island for cycle cell anemia.
I was taught to shoot when I was seven by a strict and safety conscious father, an Armament Officer overseas during the War, he instilled the discipline I still rely on when practicing to this day. I have had a permit to carry concealed weapons, every where I have resided for 50 years. I have never shot or intimidated anyone in those fifty years. The only time I ever took my weapon out of the holster was during a woodland walk with my 3 yo daughter when we were surrounded by a pack of feral dogs, I was happy I had it.
I have no blood on my hands, I am not responsible for the maniacal actions of others. Why do you want to take away my ability to protect my family and myself?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/opinion/only-the-extremists-want-to-ban-all-guns.html