Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Jaycee,

With a .375 H&H offering roughly the same trajectory as a .30-06, why not have a higher magnification scope?

Not talking 6x24 or stuff like that, but certainly up to a 12x or even a 14x in a variable?

Ed

Ed,

I guess the question that jumps out immediately to me is “What for?” For my purposes, a scope is a sight, but I swear some guys buy theirs to double as a spotting scope too? I just see nothing that a big, heavy, cumbersome, complicated high magnification variable scope is going to do for me with a 375, or 30-06 for that matter, that a good fixed power or low magnification variable will give me. In fact, that high magnification variable will give me much less on a hunting rifle. I’m not a scope twirler, I consider myself a hunter. There seems to have been a trend developing over the last 20 or so years where a significant number of gun owners seem to think they need a high magnification variable, when in reality (at least my reality), it’s more of a hindrance than anything. Whether handguns, black rifles, or hunting rifles, if guys would spend more time and money on getting some quality instruction and then actually shooting, instead of hoping that the newest, latest greatest accessory will make the difference. One can make hits on deer-size targets and larger all day long at 400/500/600 yards with a lowly 4 or 6x fixed scope. Heck, as a member on my Regiment’s small arms team we used to do that all the time with iron sights before we got magnified optics. Sorry for the long winded answer, but a high magnification optic on a hunting rifle, especially a medium or large bore, seems to be an answer in search of a question ( Jeff Cooper?).