Here's a follow-up just in case it will help anyone:

The 250 grain Pinbusters (pictured below) loaded in .45 ACP brass would not chamber in my Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible Bisley. With Ruger's tight throats, the .452 bullet is too big. I made some dummy rounds and I can get them to chamber by lightly tapping them in with anything handy (mallet, piece of wood, etc.) but obviously I don't consider that a long-term solution.

I also made some dummy rounds with an uncoated 250 gr RNFP from SNS Casting and got the same problem. Either the SNS rounds were softer or imperceptibly smaller, but I could force them in the chambers by pushing hard with my thumb. On both types of bullets you could see light scarring/rub marks where the bullet was hitting the sides of the chamber. I suppose I could seat the bullets even deeper so the natural taper of the round will come into play and I can get them to drop in freely, but I'm not that interested in trying to get a 250 gr ACP round for my revolver.

Interestingly, the dummy rounds chambered fine in a Kimber 1911. Maybe the Kimber is a smidge more accommodating, or perhaps the slide slamming forward works as the necessary tapping, but for whatever reason, they chambered. But, I don't want to shoot 250 gr bullets out of a 1911; I was just wondering if they'd fit.

Finally, the 250gr Pinbuster bullet seats and chambers easily in .45 Colt brass. I haven't shot any of them loaded in 45 Colt yet, but they do fit. I'll post a range report when I do.

[Linked Image]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.