Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by lotech
My dad had one of the original Armalite models. This was probably in the early '60s. I shot it some, but it's been a long time ago. I seem to remember it was surprisingly accurate for what it was. Very awkward gun, too light and the huge buttstock was way out of proportion for the rest of the gun, but it had to be huge to hold the barrel, action and magazine when the gun was broken down. Plastic stock finally developed a big crack rendering it worthless.

If memory serves, the originals were chambered in .22 Hornet.

Was there ever a day in history when you weren't a dumbf*ck?

They were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-7

The AR-5 had the advantage of repeat fire over the then-standard M6, using the same .22 Hornet cartridge. When the AR-5 was adopted as the MA-1 but was not placed in issue due to the numbers of usable M4 and M6 survival weapons in USAF inventory, ArmaLite used the research and tooling for the AR-5 in developing the AR-7 for the civilian market.

They weren't, and I'm happy you can google as well as TRH. This thread is about the AR7, not the frigging AR5. The AR5 was a bolt action.

Following the logic, I guess we could say the first one was chambered in 30/40 Krag.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"