Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yukon 254, I have a cow hide in the shed that I am salting.

Basically we salted it because we needed it to keep until we could get it tanned.

Of course the shed is not climate controlled, and the hide would have frozen last winter.

Is there reason for concern?

Once its dried it doesn't matter. Your hide will be fine. What you never want to do is put a hide that has just been salted and rolled up in a freezer, like Sitka was advising.

Reading comprehension is a gift.

Show me where I suggested freezing and salting.

I dont have any problem with reading comprehension, actually make a good portion of my living writing and reading now. This is what you said.....When rolling a salted hide for whatever reason, including freezing." Your words in your first post on this thread. What you meant was obvious to anyone who read it.

Are you a tanner?? How in the world would you know what formulas are being used??? Ever hear of the auto tanner? Its very popular and has been for many year now. Krowtan is another very popular tan.

Again....unsalted dried hides ARE NOT RE-SALTED.....ever. You again said you were refrying to unsalted dried hides. One a hide is dry, it is cured. A tanner then re-hydrates it with water then into the pickle. It isn't salted. Salt dries out a hide.....the exact opposite of what a tanner is trying to accomplish.

When you mentioned hair slip, you inferred that it would be better if the hair slipped on the rear of the hide. Hence you instruction for rolling up a hide the way you described. Hair slippage is caused by rot, or the hide being shaved to thin. Once it starts slipping because of rot you have big problems. I have personally never saved a hide that started to slip.

I got into this fray because of your first post where you did recommend salting and freezing. Then you told someone they didnt know anything about salting hides . You said for mounts hides are salted prior to tanning 100% of the time, at every tannery, every time. Then you said hides were "resoaked and salted before the process starts." This simply isn't true. The vast majority of the time the hides a tannery gets are already cured, by either air drying or salt cured. These hides are simply re-hydrated then tanned...no salting done. They certainly are not resoaked then salted again. Green hides need to be salted or air dried. This is done within hours of the animal being killed and skinned, or after a green hide has come out of the freezer.

Nothing wrong with salting a hide, I do it all the time, it is important, especially in field conditions. But it isn't done 100% of the time like you claim. You obviously dont understand the process.

Last edited by yukon254; 04/28/18.