Dropped my rifle off at the builder with a new Bartlein 8t. Just told him "Leave as much length as you can and thread/brake the end". He contacted me yesterday, already diving into the project. "You really want a 28" tube? Think you'll get all you really can out of a 24".....might be Diminishing Return with 28"

Got me thinking. I Googled a bit. Found two examples of barrel chop tests. One test showed a GAIN of about 37fps chopping from 28 to 24. The other showed a loss of less that 50fps total whacking the 4".

He's gonna turn this truing/rebarrel project out quickly. Any thoughts to which direction to go? To me.....the extra inches of barrel has always been "free horsepower". This is a chassis based 700 SA with a 2+ pound optic. I use it to dink with and shoot some local matches. Not sure how far I would really pack this in a hunting scenario. Would guess it to be 12 lbs all up. Maybe there is something to be said for a little less gangly and cumbersome. Chassis is a folding stock, so overall rifle length not really a concern.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....