I'm of the opinion any time one points out what he believes about a rifle and it sounds negative, one runs the risk of offending some one who likes and uses that brand of a rifle as they have had success with it and are therefor loyal to it. The fact that others have had issues does not matter, they have not. Look at all the Remington lovers and haters as and example.

From what I have read over the last 60 years, I believe Roy Weatherby was a good promoter, salesmen and showman. Good traits to have if one is attempting to sell rifles to above average income hunters! I personally have never been enamored with Wetherby rifles or most of their chambering's. I think the .257 and .270 Weatherby are interesting, but other then that, they are a bit to much for me. I also never cared for the stock design. As far as the 9 lugs go and the alleged pressure testing, why do we need 9 lugs and rifles tested to 200,000 psi?

Long gone famous brown bear guides Morris Talifson, Bill Pinell and Hal Waugh used old Mod. 70 rifles in .375 H&H and Hal rebored his 'Big Nan" to a .375 Weatherby. They never need 9 lugs or had malfunction problems, but they were quoted as saying they saw more hunters with Weatherby rifles having "jam" problems then other rifles. I wonder how many of these "jams" were caused by hunters not being familiar with their rifles and excited to see a big brownie up close. I know Weatherby liked the double radias sharp shoulder, yes he gained some powder space, but no way in hell that enhances the feeding abilities on a bolt action magazine rifle like the long sloping minimal shoulder case on a .375 H&H cartridge.

Hal Waugh said he had trouble with stocks splitting after he rebored to the .375 Weatherby. That makes no sense to me as any competent person can bed a wood rifle stock or at least find a gun smith who can, it ain't rocket science. Hal's "Big Nan" resided down the road from me for a number of years. It had a good looking wood stock on it and I could see some Weatherby influence in the stock. I would of preferred a more "classic" style, but it was his rifle.

Any way, if one likes the Weatherby I say go for it. I am just and old Win. Mod. 70 guy, but I really like my little small ring Mauser ought six, even though I see some Weatherby influence in the stock! Next winter I am removing some of that cheek piece and "Monte Carlo" look!