I remember your screen name from Marlins.
I have looked at some of the new powders but there is no significant improvement in accuracy.
My velocity. Goals have proven to be valid with several rifles over the long term.
With the .307, .308ME and .30-30AI you pick your bullet, powder and load to your velocity goal. I would like to talk bullets with the folks at Speer. The 140- 150- and 170-grain Hot Core bullets certainly perform well at 26" .30-30 or 20" .30-30AI velocities. At the 2,350- to 2,450 fps level the bullets expand and penetrate while shedding a rough 1/3 or so of their weight. The bullets are accurate and expand quickly while still appearing to be tough enough to handle bones anywhere enroute. My experience being limited to deer and pigs.
There are some very good premium bullets available and they perform well on our light bodied deer. For heavy game they may well be best. For a hunter after deer and pigs the Speer bullets are hard to beat.

Preacher, I have read a few complaints from folks shooting screws loose on the .30-30AI. I have never done so. Have you?

Slim