Originally Posted by rost495
One could wonder why if you had the ability to cock the hammer and possibly make a better shot, one would not.

Of course when I hunt glock I really have no choice.

Thats a nice shot though!

I'm starting to get to old to rely on irons at 50 yards any more with a handgun. Wish it wasn't so, but it is. It was some years back that 75-100 with irons went out the door too... a shame it tis.

Sorry, been out of the loop for months!!!

My move to DA shooting has been gradual over the last 20 years. It started with a custom, bobbed hammer, DAO, S&W M696 3 inch 44spl I had created by Teddy Jacobson (Actions by T) back in 1998. That gun shoots like a house a-fire and has killed a couple deer. Then I started taking concealed carry seriously and thinking real hard on the liability of carrying my, then favorite Kimber Compact 1911 single action auto. Over time, I realized I could shoot good DA revolver actions as good or better than any single action I had. IDK why, maybe my brain has too much to focus on to worry about the let-off of a SA?!

All this then lead to:
- selling all my SAs, included the above Kimber
- moving towards standardization in triggers and actions in almost all my handguns
- shooting all my revolvers the same way: every time, every draw, every target, no matter what the target is AND this includes hunting
- the only auto I have for carry is a Glock 19, and it too works basically the same way - draw and shoot (although I had a devil of a time mastering that trigger smile

Besides, I'll tell everyone that will listen: I think hunting with an iron sighted revolver and shooting DAO rivals or exceeds the skill level required for Archery. Ever hear of an archer battling a flinch?

I think there is no better challenge. My next goal: I'd like to score a DA fox with one of my 38s after calling it in with a mouth call not an electronic call.

All that said...........my eyes are starting to go too frown When the time comes, I might opt for a special lens on the dominant eye side that will put the focal length right at the front sight.

Last edited by petemacmahon; 05/24/18. Reason: details

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.