Dear RockyRaab,

Thanks for sharing a great American story. My family, going way back has many years of service in our nations military and consider it an honor to have served our country. It was long ago when a Jap sniper killed my 19 year old Uncle LeRoy in the Philippines, a couple of months before WWII ended. Gone, but not forgotten by my family.

My Uncle Ed is now 93 and I will call him today, he is our last surviving WWII D-Day family member. He went in on a glider with the 82nd and 155 others, due to so many casualties he and 13 others joined up with the 101st.

His vivid account of his M1 Garrand being shot out of his hands, the freezing deep timber fighting, the mortars exploding trees, the battle of the Bulge and single handedly capturing 5 Germans is riveting to me. He spoke with admiration of firing his beloved BAR and thanks God for the swollen aching head injury from a bullet that entered his helmet, but spared his life, but he kept in the fight and eventually lost an eye because of it.

He is one of 14 of his original group of 155 that came home alive. We do not celebrate Memorial Day, but we do spend the day in solemn remembrance of our nations fallen warriors.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 05/27/18.