Good morning all. After 20 yrs of banking, I finally decided to put in for a NW Colorado mulie tag (2nd Rifle, 201). There's still a couple of days before draw results are posted but my fingers are crossed, and based on last year's statistics, I should be in unless point creep went haywire. Although I am looking forward to the chance to draw and hunt this unit, I'm unsure of the status of the deer herd, given the hard winter of 16/17 and, I believe, chronic summer droughts. Is anybody locally familiar with the prognosis for this year's hunting conditions in the unit (on public land)? I've read that the herd has been down in recent years, but are things now worse? getting better? average? I'd like get my expectations in line as it's going to be a difficult challenge under the best of circumstances, given that I live in New Jersey which complicates scouting (i.e, I can't!) and this OIAL hunt will also be a true DIY as I won't have any partner. Finally, I'll only have a week to drive out (2,000+ miles each way), hunt, and drive back. My wife and friends think I'm nuts but I enjoy overcoming these obstacles. Since I have never bagged a mule deer, I am not at all worried about score, but do hope I'll be able to find deer and at least give myself a *chance* for a decent buck. ..... And yes, I know I am going to probably die a bit inside over some of the elk I will see (and likely never get to hunt in my lifetime) but at least it will keep things interesting! Thanks to anybody who can help, and good luck to everyone who is also waiting on the CO draw.

edit: I know it's impolite to not introduce yourself on a "first" post. I've actually been on here since about 2009, had some trouble with user ID or password in the past and seem to have created two accts. My other is "smcdonn". I'll have to choose one to delete. Anyhow, long time member, infrequent poster, occasional DIY elk or antelope hunter in addition to my native white-tails. I've had a few good hunts in WY and CO, and some less sucessful ones of course, and if I have a tip that would be helpful, I'm happy to share and I appreciate those who have shared advice with me.

Last edited by NJTrail; 06/03/18. Reason: intro