Bugs aren't bad on the lake or in the cabin / tent so plan accordingly. If you're staying in a cabin, try to get everyone going in an out at the same time. What I mean is everyone going in and out of the cabin all day and night will lead to bugs in the bunk house. I highly recommend bringing a mosquito coil in case the bugs get too bad inside the cabin. Burn one for 2-4 hours and it will kill every bug in the place. Make sure you place it in a bowl or other non-flammable container before you light it. Sitting in the cabin with a mosquito coil smoking gives me a headache, but if you're good and boozed up in the evening it probably won't bother you much.

Click Here

For fishing, troll a Rapala x-rap or rattlin rap until you find them. Redfire crawdad colors work best for me and all my fishing buddies. Then anchor and use slip bobbers and a Gamakatsu hook the size of your little finger nail in either metallic green (not painted green) or a painted hot pink. Or you can just troll your deep diving Rapala's and probably get all the fish you want. I like Power Pro line on a bait casting reel for trolling as the line cuts the water and enables the lure to dive deeper.

Bring some crawlers. They work as well as leeches for me and are easier to keep than minnows. If you have a fish brain like I do, crawlers make sense as the water warms and things start to crawl out of the mud and become walleye table fare.

The stars are truly magnificent at night, so go out for a look after dark. If you look for 30 to 40 minutes, you even see one or two stars that move rapidly across the night sky. And in that amount of time you'll likely also see some shooting stars and even the northern lights. You'll also see a large band of light running across the night sky. That's our home base - the Milky Way. Look at it though a pair of binoculars and you'll see that the band of light is actually millions of stars grouped together in our galaxy.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, be sure and post some pics or the big one when you return.