I etch my damascus the way an old timer (ABS Mastersmith) told me to.

Etch in your solution, I use Radio Shack's and water @ 50/50, for about 15, 20 minutes depending on how things are going. I lower my blade into the solution using a common string, not a metal hook. You can take it out every few minutes to check on the progress and lower back in if need be.

Here is where the difference takes place: When you take it out for good, do not rub it off with soap, windex, etc....just run under scalding hot water until the etching solution is rinsed off and the blade has heated up. Don't touch the blade! Take it outside and let it air dry...because the blade is hot, it'll dry off pretty quick. When I'm convinced its 100% dry I immediately take the blade into my shop and spray a first coat of Mimwax satin finish polyurathane on it. A light coat...just to seal it. About three hours later I spray coat number two. Let dry for at least 24 hours and you are ready to finish the blade.

When I did it this way, I got that pretty black/silver contrast...NOT the light gray/dark gray contrast I used to get when I scrubbed the blade. Works like a charm and holds up fantastic.

Looks like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.