When using the 45-70 In North America, which bullet kills big bears, big moose and bison the fastest, a heavy hard cast with a wide meplat, or a heavy jacketed 350 to 400 grain soft nosed bullet? Lets forget brain and neck bone shots and give both types of bullets equal shot placement. I believe, from what I have read over the last 50 years, a heavy jacketed soft nose bullet out of a 45-70 will produce a quicker kill then a hard cast bullet when used on our largest thin skinned North American game. Even if it does not give as much penetration as a hard cast, but gives sufficient penetration.

The hard cast will out penetrate a jacketed bullet, but will it do as much tissue damage and create as devastating permanent wound channel as a jacketed bullet? I am a believer in using a load combo that will produce an exit hole, but I also believe penetration is not the only decider in bullet performance. We have bullet construction, impact velocity, permanent wound channel and placement deciding how well a bullet kills.

I have been packing a 45-70 Marlin for close to 30 years when hiking, fishing, camping, ATV riding, etc. in Alaska. For most of that time the rifle has been stuffed with a 400 grain jacketed Kodiak bullet from Alaska bullet works. A few months ago I ordered some of their 350 grain heavy jacketed bullets and had the rifle Mag-na-ported. Those of you who shoot one of these rifles with heavy loads know why I want to reduce some recoil. After 30 years of being pounded I thought I would wimp out a bit.

In all those years I have not shot any thing with the 45-70 and doubt I will ever have much opportunity to do so as my old carcass only has so many moose hunts left and fortunately since the mid 90's, I have not had any negative bear encounters.

So if any one has any experience with the 45-70 and big critters please share your thoughts and loads. Heck, even if you are like me and have no experience, share your thoughts, that is a benefit of the internet!