Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have some questions concerning loading the .30-06 Ackley Improved 40 degree shoulder cartridge.

I noticed recently that Qual-Cart has stopped offering all Ackley Improved cartridges on a general basis, although special runs are possible, This option depends on the quantities and $$$$$. I am assuming it is also influenced by other people ordering as well. Searching through their website, I get the impression something in excess of 2000 (two thousand) cases is the minimum order.

Now, Qual-Cart still offers .30-06 AI basic, that is cylinder brass for converting into any Ackley Improved cartridge. Just how difficult would this be: reforming the cylinder brass into .30-06 Ackley Improved cases? I understand neck length trimming and reaming maybe / will be necessary. However, prior to that, would I be able to run the cylinder brass through my RCBS full length forming dies, suitably lubed (extensively)?

I have a feeling this is not possible or undesirable operation with these dies and probably other necking down dies (what sort, where from?) are required..

I am beginning to think it would be simpler just to shoot good quality factory .30-06 in the Pacnor barrelled rifle, fire forming the cases in the process. I understand one of the big attractions of the Ackley Improved chambering's is you can still fire parent factory cartridges in the rifle safely.

Could those with experience of reloading this round please advise? Thanks in advance.