I miss mulberries. Had a nice tree where I lived while working in WA since 2010. Retired now, brought some dried berries home to try to start from seed. No luck yet, I think they may have to pass through a robin's ass to be viable grin

I do know that quail, robins, sparrows of all flavors, pheasant, orioles, and probably a lot of other birds love the heck out of them. The male trees make great shade, the females too, but messy they are. White cars/houses/awnings etc certainly don't like them.

As for the other types, we had a freeze two weeks or so ago so no berries yet. I just checked and the first few strawberries have another couple of days to go. We only bought this place about 18 months ago, started getting plants last summer. Our two blueberry bushes have about 6 total berries starting to ripen. One of the raspberry bushes we picked up has 4-5 berries on it, none of the black or tay berries have a flower even.

Sad thing is, with our luck we'll have to move just about the time my garden/orchard/berry patch becomes established. If so, not because of work, as has happened so many times, but health care in our very rural area leaves a lot to be desired and we're not getting younger.

Can't wait to explore and find some Himalaya berry patches out along some streams.

Everyone enjoy them berries while they're here. They'll be gone too soon (xcpt for the frozen and put up ones!))

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?