After 5 years hunting elk in the same unit, it occurred to me that, in my opinion - hunting on foot is putting me at a disadvantage for these reasons:

- Too many trails. Over the years, off season hikers, backcountry campers, high country fisherman, and off road UTV/Jeeps have blazed enough trails/rough roads in the area that it doesn't require much effort to get "off the road". We like to talk about most hunters staying within a mile or half mile of the main roadways, but when you can get on a cut trail or UTV 2-track - you can go deeper with ease, stacking up the hunting pressure.

- Too much deadfall. Beetle kill has ravaged some parts, and impacted most of it. Anyone who has attempted to traverse beetle kill deadfall knows that it kills your progress, and makes for a dangerous hike in/out once things get icy and snowy.

- Horse hunter advantage. I can't beat the horse hunters. Some are guided, others are DIY horse guys. Even the swiftest backpack hunter stands no chance of getting as far back in a day as the horse hunters can get.

So all of this had me thinking: What is the ideal backpack hunting terrain? Is there a type of country where setting out on foot gives the backpack hunter an upper hand? I don't know of many places that ban horses, and UTVs, and roads, and trails, and guides, etc. Or maybe there is, and I just don't know it.

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more seasoned, well traveled backpack hunters think about this. Have there been places where you felt like the backpack hunting method put you at an advantage?