Originally Posted by kellory
In all seriousness, what does a deer do the moment it hears the release? Drops down a bit to dig in to leap, right? Then it comes up slightly as the muscles bunch and motion starts forward. In that short moment, that 150lb crossbow has thrown that arrow (bolt) through that deer at 40 -50 yards. It's already over. There's no time for more than a slight movement, and second shots are very rare. I. Really don't worry about it.

What is the speed of the bolt? I think on closer shots,maybe under 50 yards, it matters more about the deer than about the device slinging the arrow. I've had very nervous deer jump a 300 fps arrow at 35 yards. He may not have been able at 15 yards,but compared to the speed of sound,any arrow or bolt is slow. A nervous deer could jump any arrow or bolt at 50 yards unless it is several times faster than 300 fps. I guess I feel any type bow hunting should be close range and 50 would be a very rare max for me,even though I could easily group arrows at 50.It would have to be harder to jump a string on closer shots,no matter the noise level or speed.