Originally Posted by saddlesore
Big range of weights there, but a skid loader might be handier . Is this short term or long term? Most rental companies have skid loaders,but no tractors.The problem with small tractors is you need a lot of weight on the back end to lift a big bale. My tractor, a 25HP Kubota, I have to put a heavy implement on the back and add weight to it .If not the back end will come off the ground with 800 #'s.

Bale spears will work better than forks for bales and a medium size generally will lift 1500# bales .You might be able to rent both forks and spears with the skid loader

Last I checked, skid loaders went for about $125/day. I don't know about long term leases though

Reason fro the tractor idea is because I will be running on uneven ground. Gravel, dirt, pavement etc. and I will be covering some distance at times. That combined with the added functionality of a tractor made me think about leasing a little ~40hp tractor.

I know counter weights would be required. If I were to use the tractor for bales, I would switch to a spear on the back and on the loader.

Local crop and grain outfit has a little cat challenger tractor they're using. Think they are leasing it. Got a call into them to check into their terms.

Montana MOFO