Originally Posted by ColoWyoMan
IMR 4198 is an often over looked powder in the Whelen with cast bullets. I have a 358318, 358315, and a custom mold that dumps 255+ grain #2 alloy slugs. Had an opportunity to pick up a 358009 a while back but by the time the auction closed it was $140, which I didn't have at the time.

I gas check and pan lube with my own mix (wax ass gasket, paraffin, grease, and a crayon) and run them over 35-40 grains of IMR 4198. Velocities of 2500+ with the 245-255 gr is easily attainable and I've never had issues with lead fouling during summer or winter weather. Accuracy for these is minute of elk out to 300 yds, although I haven't used them for that purpose as yet, I tend to stick with conventional condom wrapped bullets for hunting.

Though we haven’t cast for our rifles in quite a while.....IMR 4198 was our “go to” powder in our .338 WM, .375 H&H, and the .375 AI. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024