There were scores of rounds fired in each of the six trials, and were detailed in the Winchester archives, and referenced by Mr. Hockett, western historian and author of the above information. I simply had no interest in attempting to collate all the data and results into a viewable archive then attempt to cut and paste into a forum thread. You can research his article and the documents he referenced yourself if you are so inclined. I still stand by my comment: Try to replicate the load and charge in your own 'strong or stronger actions and video it for us to view if you think the toggle link is a weaker action then yours. Sure it's 140 years old, sure it's from the bp era, but that sure doesn't mean it's weak. And, by the way, it's the barrels that are too weak to handle the smokeless loads, not the actions. Seen more than a few that had chrome-moly barrels replacing the old deteriorated originals, and they handle the smokeless just fine. True, you absolutely can NOT turn a 45-75 into some kind of '450 Magnum' or a 50-95 into a 2700 fps poor mans BMG, but with some work-ups done properly, they can be a right powerful rifle, capable of taking anything in North America, including the great bears, with authority.

Last edited by NorgeX; 07/03/18. Reason: content