Originally Posted by DLALLDER
From what I have seen and been told, the bench rest 22lr shooters clean their rifles each time the go to the range. So now I am in a quandary, do I clean or not? Pharma, why no brush?? Thanks Daniel

Bench rest rimfire shooters are a completely different breed, and need to be if they expect to win championships. One guy can get by with never cleaning, the next might clean after every shot- whatever feels right to them. When championships are determined by a couple thousandths in group size of number or X's at a hundred yards, you do what you think will work or you've been taught and pray.
For most of us, this level of accuracy just isn't necessary and that level of cleaning would probably damage your barrel short of it's life expectancy normally, IMO. Personally, I hardly ever clean my rimfires and they shoot just fine for me. When I occasionally do clean them, I use a bore guide and my Stainless .22 Dewey rod and plastic or brass jags with chemicals on patches. Never use a brush anymore on any of my rifles and haven't for a very long time.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/04/18.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.